Chickpea salad sandwich
Simple & crowd-pleasing
Better than tuna salad, this picnic favourite (from Andrea Potter, Rooted Nutrition) is easy to prep in advance.
It lasts in the fridge in an airtight container for about 4 days.
*Check out the curried variation as well.
This sandwich is:
- Simple and easy to make
- Full of fibre
If you love this sandwich, try our Black Bean Burgers next. You can also subscribe to PlantUniversity to receive a plant-based recipe in your inbox each week. Adding more plant-based foods into your routine helps animals, your health, and the planet!
Recipes like this
You can also subscribe to PlantUniversity to receive a plant-based recipe in your inbox each week. Adding more plant-based foods into your routine helps animals, your health, and the planet!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 398ml chickpeas, canned or use 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 pickles chopped small
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped. Or use 1 tsp dried dill.
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tsp dijon or other mustard
- 2 tbsp red onion or shallot finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Buns or sandwich bread
- Add all to a mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher or use a hand blender to mash. Mixture should be not too mushy but should stick together.
- *For curried variation, add 1 tsp curry powder to the mayo and omit the dill, pickles and capers. Add a chopped bell pepper if you like.
Serving InformationUse to fill sandwiches with deli sprouts, avocado, tomato and your favourite toppings.
Recipe Cost Breakdown
|Chickpeas, canned (398ml/14oz)||1||ea||3.29|
|Bread, wholegrain sandwich||8||slices||3.84|
|Onion, red, medium||.13||ea||.21|
|Herbs, fresh (21g pkg)||.25||ea||.39|
Watch Andrea make ‘Chickpea Salad Sandwiches’