Black bean burrito bowl
Filling & flavourful
A delicious combination of beans, rice, plantain, avocado, and fresh pico de gallo. All of your favourite flavours of a burrito – just in a bowl, making it an easy gluten-free recipe. Topped with a creamy, tofu-based chipotle sauce provides a good amount of protein and a delicious smoky and spicy flavour.
This bowl is:
- Full of flavour
- Filling and satiating
- High in protein
- High in fibre
If you love this burrito bowl, try our Pulled BBQ Jackfruit Burrito next.
Recipes like this
You can also subscribe to PlantUniversity to receive a plant-based recipe in your inbox each week. Adding more plant-based foods into your routine helps animals, your health, and the planet!
Black Bean Burrito Bowl
- 1 1/4 cups dry black beans (or use 3 cups of canned beans, rinsed)
- 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder and sea salt (or to taste, for seasoning beans)
- 2 cups brown rice (rinsed)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (for seasoning rice)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (for seasoning rice)
- 1 1/2 avocado
- 2 plantain (sliced)
- 3 cups romaine lettuce (diced, packed)
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil (1 tbsp for frying plantain, 1 tbsp for seasoning rice)
Pico de gallo
- 1 1/2 tsps lime juice
- 1 1/4 cups tomato (diced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (packed and roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- 12 ozs soft tofu
- 1-2 tbsps chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsps lime juice
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- Soak dry black beans in water for 1-8 hours. Drain, rinse, and cook in fresh water untilsoft and tender. Or you can use canned beans by rinsing and heating in a sauce pan.
- Rinse brown rice and cook on stove top or rice cooker.
- While the beans and rice are cooking, prepare the other ingredients.
- Prepare the pico de gallo by combining the tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, minced garlic, and lime juice in a bowl. Gently toss and set aside.
- Prepare the chipotle dressing by blending the soft tofu, olive oil, chipotle peppers, gluten-free or regular tamari, lime juice, and sea salt until smooth. Pour into jar or bowl and set aside.
- Chop the romaine and slice the avocado and set aside.
- Prepare the plantain by slicing and frying in a bit of olive oil until browned on each side.
- Assemble each bowl by adding rice, beans, pico de gallo, plantain, romaine, and avocado, and then drizzle with chipotle dressing.
Recipe Cost Breakdown
|Black beans||1 1/4||can||1.86|
|Extra Virgin Olive Oil||4||tbsp||0.94|
|Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce||1-2||tbsp||0.70|
|Tamari or Soy Sauce||2||tbsp||0.35|