Roasted tomato & Millet soup
Creamy & comforting
This soup is a true celebration of fresh tomatoes at their best.
This soup is:
- Robust with garlic and herb flavours
- Filled with millet! (Millet is the grain highest in iron, is a source of calcium, and is gluten-free)
If you love this hearty, filling soup, try our Smokey Butternut Squash Soup next.
Recipes like this
You can also subscribe to PlantUniversity to receive a plant-based recipe in your inbox each week. Adding more plant-based foods into your routine helps animals, your health, and the planet!
Roasted tomato & millet soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 9 tomatoes, Roma
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 12 sprigs Thyme fresh (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 cup millet
- 3 onions
- 1/2 chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce)
- 1 tsp paprika smoked (or sub for regular)
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth keep extra around for adding if necessary to desired consistency after blending
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
To roast tomatoes:
- Put a roasting rack onto a sheet pan and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges, quartered and then halved (8 wedges)
- Remove the tough stems from the herbs.
- Toss the tomatoes in a bowl with the leaves of thyme and rosemary along with the slivered garlic, olive oil and salt.
- Arrange on roasting tray evenly and roast for 30-40 minutes, until the skins look wrinkled and they smell delicious.
To make the soup:
- Sweat the onion and millet down olive oil. Add paprika and chipotle.
- Once onions are translucent and fragrant, add stock or water.
- Cook with a lid on for 20- 30 minutes (until the millet 'blooms').
- When tomatoes are done, add them to the pot.
- Blend until smooth with a soup want or cool slightly and blend till smooth in a blender.
- Add additional water if needed to desired consistency.
Serving InformationServe hot
Recipe Cost Breakdown
|Onions, medium diced||3||ea||1.23|
|Tomatoes, Roma (conventional)||9||ea||4.14|