smokey butternut squash soup
Luxurious & creamy
If you’re like us, you know fall brings on the need for warm drinks, cozy sweaters, and of course yummy soups! This smokey butternut squash soup is the perfect autumn recipe to keep you warm and requires minimal time in the kitchen. You can even prepare it ahead of time and freeze it for easy weekday lunches!
If you’re looking for a simple recipe with complex flavours, you’re in the right place.
This soup is:
If you love this cozy fall soup, try our light and fresh Minted Pea Soup next—it’s perfect served hot or cold!
Recipes like this
You can also subscribe to PlantUniversity to receive a plant-based recipe in your inbox each week. Adding more plant-based foods into your routine helps animals, your health, and the planet!
Smokey Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut or other winter squash (about 2lb/1kg)
- 2 tbsp coconut or sunflower oil
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chipotle peppers canned, in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (sub regular paprika if you cannot find smoked)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cans coconut milk (14oz/398mL)
- 2 litres vegetable broth or water
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place halved squash on baking sheet cut-side down.
- Roast for about 45 min or until the squash is soft. For hard-shelled squash you need to test the fleshy side to see if it is soft. Once it is done, cool it, scoop out the flesh and set aside.
- In a soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in the oil over medium heat, until fragrant.
- Add chipotle, coriander and paprika and stir.
- Add coconut milk and roasted squash and just enough water to cover. Simmer for a couple of minutes for the flavours to combine.
- Puree and season with sea salt.
Serving InformationGarnish with lime wedge and cilantro.
Recipe Cost Breakdown
|Winter Squash (2lb)||1||ea||5.00|
|Coconut milk (premium) 400ml can||2||ea||7.58|