Black Bean and Yam Soup
This is the perfect hearty lunch soup. It's full of fiber and delicious bold flavours. It's also perfect for leftovers for when you're in a pinch. This soup is: – Plant-based – Thick – Filling – Easy – Quick – Comforting If you love this hearty, filling soup, try our Smokey Butternut Squash Soup next. You can also subscribe to PlantUniversity to receive a plant-based recipe in your inbox each week. Adding more plant-based foods into your routine helps animals, your health, and the planet!
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 medium onions diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 4 medium yams diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp dried oregano (or 4 tbsp fresh oregano)
- pinch chili flakes (optional)
- 1 28 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (or use 3 cups cooked black beans)
- 8 sun-dried tomato halves, chopped (or 2 tbsp tomato paste)
- 2 litres vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups loosely packed greens (e.g., spinach, arugula, kale, chard)
- salt to taste
- 1 lime juiced
- ⅛ cup cilantro leaves loosely packed
- In a large soup pot, sauté onion and garlic over medium heat in oil until onions become translucent.
- Add spices (including dried or fresh oregano).
- Add yams and continue cooking for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with a few good pinches of salt.
- Add cooked beans and water to just more than cover the vegetables.
- Simmer until the yams are tender but not falling apart.
- Take the soup off the heat and blend with hand blender (or blend half of the soup in a blender and add back to the pot). Add more water to desired consistency.
- Stir in the greens until wilted (cook for up to 2 minutes if using tougher greens like kale).
- Finish the soup by seasoning with lime juice and salt to taste.
This soup freezes well. If you plan to batch-cook it, it’s best to reserve the greens and only add them when re-heating the soup. If doubling the recipe, there is no need to double the oil.
Serving InformationGarnish with cilantro and a wedge of lime.
Recipe Cost Breakdown
|Onions, medium diced||2||ea||.82|
|Medium yams, diced into 1” cubes||4||ea||7.04|
|1 x 28 oz. can, black beans, drained and rinsed Or use 3 cups cooked black beans||1||ea||7.29|
|Sun-dried tomato halves, chopped or substitute2 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)||8||ea||.32|
|Loosely packed greens, such as spinach, arugula, kale or chard||2||cups||1.07|
|Cilantro leaves, loosely packed||1/8||cup||.31|
Calories: 324kcalCarbohydrates: 60gProtein: 11gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 1046mgPotassium: 1431mgFiber: 14gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 3064IUVitamin C: 26mgCalcium: 103mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!