Minted Pea Soup
Delicious & Healthy
A delicious healthy soup that is great hot or cold, and perfect for the springtime.
This Minted Pea Soup is:
If you love this Minted Pea Soup, try our Smokey Butternut Squash Soup next.
Recipes like this
You can also subscribe to PlantUniversity to receive a plant-based recipe in your inbox each week. Adding more plant-based foods into your routine helps animals, your health, and the planet!
Minted Pea Soup
- 2 tbsp healthy oil for medium to high heat cooking (e.g., high-oleic sunflower oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, or camelina oil)
- 2 medium white or yellow onions diced
- 4 large starchy potatoes (russet or table) chopped into 1 inch cubes (leave peels on)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 4 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 2 litres vegetable stock or water Start with 1 litre and add more if needed after blending.
- 2 cups peas fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp Miso paste
- ⅔ cups mint leaves loosely packed
- 2 cups spinach or your favourite cooking green (optional)
- 2 pinches sea salt to taste
- Cook potatoes, thyme, garlic and onion in oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent.
- Add the salt and stock or water and bring to a simmer.
- When potatoes are totally cooked (about 15 minutes), add green peas and mint as well as other cooking greens (optional). Stir and take the soup off of the heat right away (unless you are using collard greens, then cook them out until tender.)
- Season the soup with salt and/or Miso.
- Cool and blend until smooth.
- You can freeze this soup. If it separates upon thawing, just puree it again in the blender.
- If you make larger quantities of this recipe, you do not need to double/triple the quantity of oil.
- Substitute any cooking green for peas to change this soup up (e.g., spinach, arugula, kale).
Serving InformationGoes well with pesto. Heat some soup up, taste again for seasoning and garnish with mint leaves, drizzle with plain, dairy-free yogurt for a creamier soup.
Recipe Cost Breakdown
|Potatoes, medium russet||4||ea||8.08|