Pulled BBQ Jackfruit burrito
Flavourful & versatile
Packed with delicious BBQ flavour and a variety of textures, these vegan burritos are a crowd-pleaser.
These burritos are:
- Seasoned to perfection
If you love these burritos, try our Pad Thai next.
Recipes like this
You can also subscribe to PlantUniversity to receive a plant-based recipe in your inbox each week. Adding more plant-based foods into your routine helps animals, your health, and the planet!
Pulled BBQ Jackfruit Burrito
- 2 20oz cans Canned Young Jackfruit in brine, not syrup
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 Onion medium, chopped
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups Long-grain rice white or brown, uncooked
- 2 cups Water
- 1.5 cups Cooked black beans
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika can substitute regular paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Cilantro roughly torn or chopped
- 4 Whole wheat flour tortilla
- 1 cup Red cabbage thinly shredded
- 1 Avocado sliced
- ¼ cup Salsa
- Pineapple canned diced or fresh diced, optional
- Drain and rinse jackfruit.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. While the oil is heating, add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the rinsed jackfruit, BBQ sauce and water to the skillet. Stir well and cover leaving to cook on a medium low heat for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a potato masher or spatula to mash and pull apart the jackfruit so that it resembles pulled pork. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Wash rice and drain. Add all except cilantro to rice cooker and cook until done, 20 min for white rice and about 35 min for brown rice. If using a pot, cook in a pot with lid over medium heat until it comes to a boil then turn down to simmer for 20-35 min depending on the type of rice.
- Stir in chopped cilantro.
To make Burritos
- Prepare BBQ Jackfruit and Mexican Rice as per recipes.
- Prepare vegetables for burrito – shred cabbage, slice avocado, dice pineapple if using fresh.
- Distribute the fillings over into the center of each tortilla (try not to over-fill!)
- Fold in the ends, then the bottom half over the filling and roll the burrito into a snug wrap.
Serving InformationServe hot. Jackfruit leftovers can be frozen.
Recipe Cost Breakdown
|Canned Jackfruit in Brine||2||550ml can||4.18|
|Black Beans, Canned (398ml)||1||ea||2.37|
|Rice, Brown Basmati, uncooked||1||cup||2.09|
|Tortilla (wheat flour)||4||ea||2.53|