Roasted Vegetable pesto Sandwich
Light & refreshing
Win big at the next picnic or potluck with this flavour-packed sandwich.
This recipe is:
- Packed with veggies
If you love this sandwich, try our Chickpea Salad Sandwich next— it’s another picnic favourite!
Recipes like this
You can also subscribe to PlantUniversity to receive a plant-based recipe in your inbox each week. Adding more plant-based foods into your routine helps animals, your health, and the planet!
Roasted Vegetable Pesto Sandwich
- 1 cup fresh basil or a combination of other herbs such as Thai basil, cilantro, parsley or dill loosely packed
- ½ cup oil
- 1-3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup greens (such as arugula, spinach, or kale), loosely packed loosely packed
- 6 ciabatta or Portuguese buns
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 bell pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- Put all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth. Add more oil as necessary to achieve a thick but pourable consistency.
- Taste and adjust acidity by adding more citrus if necessary and adjust salt to taste.
- Slice eggplant and zucchini into 1-inch thick rounds, and peppers (and optional mushrooms) into thick slices. Spread on a baking tray and drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar. Do not over-crowd the baking tray (use 2 if needed)
- Sprinkle with salt and roast at 375°F for about 20 minutes, until veggies begin to soften. Let cool while you prepare the buns.
- Toast buns if desired.
- Smear 1-2 tbsp pesto on each bun.
- Add veggies to buns and top with (optional) hummus, vegan mayo, avocado and/or fresh greens.
Serving InformationTastes great warm from the oven, but also chilled and marinated in the cooking juices. Extra veggies may be enjoyed in a pasta or a wrap. This recipe makes extra greens pesto, which is versatile and adds punch to soups, pasta and wraps.
Recipe Cost Breakdown
|Ingredients||Makes 1 cup|
|Basil or other herbs such as Thai basil, cilantro or parsley or dill (or a combination of these), loosely packed||1||cup||2.75|
|Greens (such as arugula, spinach or in the wintertime, kale), loosely packed||1||cup||.63|
|Total/ 2 Tbsp serving||0.90|
Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
|Ciabatta buns, Portuguese buns or your favourite||6||ea||5.24|